Butternut Squash, Kale, Farro Winter Salad
This butternut squash salad satisfies the need for healthy food and comfort food in the winter! Keeping dishes like this in rotation definitely also makes it easier for us to eat healthy at home. (Super important while we save money for traveling and house projects!)
The health benefits of butternut squash are also high, while being low in calories. Butternut squash is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium, and Magnesium – making it an ideal base for clean eating. Farro is nutritious as well – high in Vitamin B3, Protein etc. All of these are things I’ve really tried to focus on as we phase out of eating processed foods and into a plant based diet. My personal goal is to become about 80% vegan and dishes like these make it easy! The bite of the farro and butternut squash gives the dish a heartiness, and is very filling!
- 1 Bunch of Kale (You need about 3 cups chopped)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 large butternut squash (peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- 2 Cups Farro Root (Dry) – available at most large chain grocery stores
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese (Leave this part out to make completely vegan)
- Lemon (1/4 lemon per serving)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peal the butternut squash, cut it up into 1/2 inch cubes and put into a mixing bowl.
- Toss cubed butternut squash in about 2 Tbsps of olive oil, 3/4 Tbsps of garlic powder, a 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper- use a spatula to evenly cover all of the butternut squash in bowl.
- Spread evenly across baking sheet (nonstick spray on a baking sheet usually is what we do).
- Dice all garlic and spread evenly over the butternut squash in the pan. ** I use a garlic press to make quick work of this step! (linked here and below)
- The butternut squash/garlic only needs to cook for about 25 minutes (at the 15 minute mark – turn the pan around.)
- While the butternut squash is going – go ahead and cook the farro.
- Bring 4 cups of vegetable broth /1 cup of water and the 2 cups of uncooked farro root to a boil.
- When it starts boiling, cover and let it finish (about 20 minutes – ‘fluff’ with a fork occasionally)
- When it’s finished leave the cover half off and allow it to cool.
- Chop 3 cups of kale into bight sized pieces.
- Combine the squash(while hot), farro (while hot), kale, and feta all in one bowl. No extra salt or pepper is needed. (To make vegan – exclude feta.)
- At this point use a spatula and mix everything together- kind of like folding batter in on itself.
- For serving- cut a lemon into quarters and squeeze 1/4 over the top of each serving + drizzle about a tsp of balsamic vinegar over the top.
Overall this made about 6 servings (a cup and a half per serving) which makes it really great option for meal prep!!! For more recipes click here. Save the pin below and enjoy!